The really initial of September has arrived and went. Winter season could be a thrilling…
For those of you who don’t know, paradise is real, and it’s a mere three-hour (or so) plane ride away. Twelve miles of pristine beaches, idyllic walking and bike paths, exotic flora and fauna (we literally almost biked into an alligator on those rural bike paths!), and a sunset that took my breath away. Yes, I’m talking about Hilton Head Island.
Hilton Head Island has always had a special place in my heart. When I was a child, I would vacation there with my grandparents, and it’s one of the first trips where I had memories that really stuck with me. The trees, the smell of the sea, walking along the beautiful beaches and collecting shells—all things I looked forward to feeling again as an adult while experiencing the incredible design and event that is The HGTV® Dream Home 2020.
Thanks to our friends at Belgard, Joe, and I made the trip to Hilton Head Island not only to check out this incredible house (see the slideshow here) but also to experience all that is Hilton Head Island: the food, the views, the CLIMATE (there were ice storms back at home in Minneapolis). As someone who shivers while making the trek from house to garage this time of year, I was astounded by the outdoor living space and being able to take advantage of it in January.
I had the privilege of attending last year’s HGTV Dream Home in Whitefish, Montana, and what’s incredible is how the Dream Team incorporates the elements and the landscape into the design. Much like last year’s home, every nook and cranny has been considered.
Here are a few insider details I learned while touring the home:
- Tamara Day and Brian Patrick Flynn teamed up to build and design this year’s HGTV® Dream Home, which is located in the most idyllic neighborhood, nestled amongst 100-year-old oak trees overlooking the marshland. It doesn’t get much better than that.
- The home sits two stories tall with three bedrooms and three and a half bathrooms, and is around 3,500 square feet. The HGTV® Dream Home 2020 on Hilton Head Island boasts a great room, a laundry and mudroom (which was my favorite feature!), a gourmet kitchen, a dining room, and a multipurpose entertaining space on the second floor.
- The interior also includes an open floor plan and large windows to capture views of the marshland throughout the home.
- On the outside, the home has a retractable screen porch that runs along the length of the house.
- Speaking of the outdoors, there was an amazing outdoor kitchen, created, designed and installed by Belgard.
- It’s an all-season vacation home, meaning there are plenty of amenities to enjoy year-round, like a saltwater pool, outdoor kitchen, screened-in back porch, and a large backyard perfect for entertaining large groups and hosting lawn games.
If I had to choose my favorite space of the home (and I’ve got more than a few, including the mudroom!), it’s the backyard. This is a textbook example of how great design happens when you have the right team. The outdoor space combines two different design elements superbly: modern pavers used in traditional applications. The pool, for example, is both functional and beautiful, using durable pavers with the low-maintenance benefits of turf. It is really reminiscent of something that you would see in a coastal home that is 100 years old but done in a thoroughly modern way.
As we looked out on the marshlands, made s’mores, and drank whiskey, Joe and I pretended we lived here, and I tell you what—whoever wins this house will come home to a very, very special place.
What Are You Waiting For?
Enter for your chance to win this year’s breathtaking coastal home in Hilton Head Island.
For official rules and details please click here.
Check out a tour of the entire house here. Enter for your chance to win this incredible home and check out the full house tour on HGTV. Feb. 12: 1pm | 12c, Feb. 17: 11am | 10c.
Ed. note: This post was sponsored by Belgard. The compensation we receive in exchange for placement on Wit & Delight is used to purchase props, hire a photographer, write/edit the blog post and support the larger team behind Wit & Delight.
While compensation was received in exchange for coverage, all thoughts and opinions are always my own. Sponsored posts like these allow us to continue to develop dynamic unsponsored content.
Thank you for supporting our partners!
No purchase necessary. Open to legal residents of the U.S., age 21 or older. Void where prohibited. Sweepstakes ends at 5 p.m. ET on 2/19/20. Odds of winning depend on number of entries received. For full official rules, prize disclosures, and to enter, visit www.HGTV.com. Main Sponsor: Scripps Networks, LLC d/b/a Home & Garden Television 9721 Sherrill Boulevard, Knoxville, Tennessee 37932.
Photos and videos © 2019 Scripps Networks, LLC. Used with permission; all rights reserved.